[openstack-dev] [release][all] bugs will now close automatically when patches merge

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Dec 8 11:35:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 08 2015, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> You can read the previous thread (which you apparently missed) where we
> proposed and discussed this work, but TL;DR: is that this was highly
> unreliable (we turned every FixCommitted bugs into FixReleased bugs
> without checking that they all actually were fixed in the release).

I think that's only possible if you do this blindly on each release
without releasing from master, and not using Launchpad series – that's
why we use it.

I just went through the thread you mentioned, and my TL;DR is that the
release team is pushing the use of reno instead of Launchpad and
minimizing the use of Launchpad because it is unreliable (timeouts), and
because it's way more complicated to track bugs in it – you have to do
it manually more or less since not everything is automated.

I think it's sad to move things this way, as it's not an improvement at
all (except having release notes), but OTOH it's understandable as the
release team manpower is somewhat limited and most projects are not
taking care of their Launchpad correctly.

I've sent a patch to leave Gnocchi out of this change for now, as we're
still able to manage our bugs and release by ourselves.

Thanks for the explanation Thierry!

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker