[openstack-dev] [Congress] Python 3 ready

Eric K ekcs.openstack at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 22:58:42 UTC 2015

Thanks, Victor. Congrats to everyone who worked on the port =)

Replacing antlr3 is an important TODO item, but IMHO separate from
supporting Python 3.

A Python 3 port of antlr3 was available from the antlr community so we
used it, with the understanding that antlr3 needs replacing sooner rather
than later.

At the moment, there is no obvious candidate for replacing antlr3. antlr4
would be a natural candidate, except that it dropped support for abstract
syntax trees, so it would require a major re-write of Congress grammar and
compiler code.

I¹m exploring the possibility of using Grako as a replacement for antlr3.

Additional thoughts and suggestions on antlr3 replacement always
appreciated =)

-Eric