[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] Install Openstack-Ansible

Major Hayden major at mhtx.net
Fri Dec 4 13:21:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-12-04 at 10:01 +0530, Sharma Swati6 wrote:
> To add a new container, we have followed the steps as mentioned in
> the extra_container.yml.example. Please find the sample designate.yml
> file attached and created as per the steps.

That's a good start.  However, you'll need to sign up[1] to be an
OpenStack developer (agreeing to some contracts and things so you can
commit this into the upstream repositories.

Once you do that, you'll want to assemble a spec for the changes you
want to make.  A spec defines what you hope to accomplish and gives
everyone on the project a chance to review the steps you're planning to
take.  You can look at a spec I wrote[2] for ideas and then use the
openstack-ansible-specs template[3] to begin working on your spec.

A spec isn't busywork -- it shows the intention of what you're trying
to do and allows other people on the project to point out areas of
concern and improvement.

> To add the new roles in openstack-ansible repository, shall I create
> the directory looking at what is there for keystone or other
> components and make the configuration changes only, or can I clone it
> from somewhere also?

There is a push lately to use independent role repositories, but I'm
not sure if that's a hard requirement at the moment.  Jesse Pretorius
or Kevin Carter may be better people to talk about that in this thread.

Details on independent role repositories are in a spec[4] as well.

> Thereafter, as suggested by you, I have to test this new container
> with the existing ones.
>
> I believe there is no such link available with such steps and 'how
> to' part for openstack-ansible. Please let me know if you/anyone else
> have already done this part to add a new component container
> similarly.

We can help you with this in IRC once you've completed the other steps
I've listed above.  Join us on Freenode in #openstack-ansible and we
will be happy to help you along the way!

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html
[2] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-ansible-specs/specs/mitaka/security-hardening.html
[3] https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible-specs/blob/master/specs/template.rst
[4] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-ansible-specs/specs/mitaka/independent-role-repositories.html