[openstack-dev] [nova] Testing concerns around boot from UEFI spec

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Dec 4 01:42:43 UTC 2015

On 12/3/2015 9:35 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> The boot from UEFI spec [1] is stalled a bit on testing concerns. I've
> asked that there is integration testing (either upstream or Intel hosts
> a 3rd party job for it), or we log a warning when it's used saying it's
> untested and therefore considered experimental.
>
> I think we also want to point out UEFI boot support in the hypervisor
> support matrix for this change, which leads me to what I think are the
> three options:
>
> 1. Don't test it; this is the easy short term answer. We log the warning
> that it's not tested and considered experimental. This is easy and
> side-steps the quality issue, but also goes against our direction as a
> project. [2][3]
>
> 2. Require Intel to provide a 3rd party CI job to test this. It sounds
> like this might be a possibility, but I'm not entirely sure if it's
> necessary given the last option.
>
> 3. Get this working in devstack and add a flag to Tempest for it, then
> we can run it in the normal gate-tempest-dsvm-full job. I think the
> steps (at a high level) to make this work are:
>
> a) install ovmf (this is in ubuntu 14.04)
> b) setup an image with the proper uefi image metadata
> c) configure tempest with the uefi image id (if None, it means boot from
> uefi is not supported for the given env)
> d) add a test to boot from uefi using the given uefi image id
>
> I think before we can know how feasible #3 is, someone has to test that
> out (not it!). But given the spec freeze deadline is today, how do we
> proceed?
>
> We could say in the spec #1 is the short term plan, but emphasize that
> #3 will be investigated (but not required for the code to land in mitaka).
>
> Unless of course people want to make 2 or 3 required for the code to land.
>
> I'll add this to the nova meeting agenda for today.

> [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/215664/9/doc/source/test_strategy.rst

I already mentioned this to sdague before the nova meeting today (these
are the things I think about while driving in the middle of nowhere),
but option #3 won't work because boot from UEFI requires libvirt>=1.9.0,
which we don't have in the gate (ubuntu 14.04 has liberty 1.2.2).  There
is a newer version of libvirt in the fc21 job in the experimental queue,
but ovmf isn't available from Fedora [1].

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_UEFI_with_QEMU#EDK2_Licensing_Issues

Matt Riedemann