[openstack-dev] [horizon] [QA] Improving Horizon Integration Tests

Timur Sufiev tsufiev at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 3 11:39:44 UTC 2015

Hello, folks!

As you probably already know, integration tests were recently made voting
again in Horizon. Next logical step in ensuring Horizon/OpenStack stability
is increasing their coverage. I've reworked initial GoogleDoc version of
tests breakdown (wasn't very popular due to the restricted access) as an
etherpad doc [1].

First I suggest to discuss it inline,
* leaving your '+1' marks (if the test case seems really important to you)
inline -> this will help us to prioritize the further work (in a manner
similar we usually prioritize topics for summit)
* or making comments about some tests being excessive/ unnecessary/ missing

Then, once we consider the tests breakdown mature enough, it will be used
for coordination of work, so developers won't write the same test
simultaneously. Finally, this will be used for reviewing purposes (what
test should I review first? - again, as we already do with release cycle
priorities in Horizon), embedding the bug/ review link into the general
document.

In the meantime, I'm going to write additional docs about writing
integration tests.  There is already a good starting section [2], but it's
more aimed for experienced developers, who need debugging clues. So, that
is another area where your feedback is greatly appreciated. If you ever
have tried writing an integration test in Horizon and went away feeling
confused and lost, please describe what was the greatest source of your
confusion.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/horizon-integration-tests
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/238959/