[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][aodh][vitrage] Raising custom alarms in AODH

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Dec 2 17:24:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 02 2015, AFEK, Ifat (Ifat) wrote:

> As we understand it, if we take the first approach you describe, then we can
> have an alarm refer to all the VMs in the system, but then if the alarm is
> triggered by one VM or by five VMs, the result will be the same - only one
> alarm will be active. What we want is to be able to distinguish between the
> different VMs - to know which alarms were triggered on each specific VM.
>
> One of the motivations for this is that in Horizon we would like to display all
> the alarms, where we would like to be able to see that a problem occurred on
> instance1, instance2 and instance8, not just that there was a problem on some
> VMs out of a group.

Ok, that's clearer.

> Can this be supported without defining an alarm for every VM separately?

No, it's not possible. You'd have to create the alarm for each instance
for now.

Honestly, I'd say start with this at a first step, and if it starts
becoming a problem, we can envision a better way to define some sort of
alarm template for example in Aodh. I wouldn't put the cart before the
horse.

> This is what Ryota Mibu wrote us:
>
>> The reason is that aodh evaluator may not be aware of new alarm
>> definitions and won't send notification until its alarm definition >
>> cache is refreshed in less than 60 sec (default value).
>
> Did we misunderstand?

Oh no, but I thought you were mentioning at it being slow. This is a
cache, you can lower it to 1s if you want, with the potential
performance impact it may have. :)

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker