[openstack-dev] [nova]New Quota Subteam on Nova

Dulko, Michal michal.dulko at intel.com
Wed Dec 2 14:18:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 11:45 -0800, Vilobh Meshram wrote:

> Having worked in the area of Quotas for a while now by introducing
> features like Cinder Nested Quota Driver [1] [2] I strongly feel that
> something like a Nova Quota sub-team will definitely help. Mentioning
> about Cinder Quota driver since it was accepted in Mitaka design
> summit that Nova Nested Quota Driver[3] would like to pursue the route
> taken by Cinder.  Since Nested quota is a one part of Quota subsystem
> and working in small team helped to iterate quickly for Nested Quota
> patches[4][5][6][7] so IMHO forming a Nova quota subteam will help.

Just FYI - recently we've identified several caveats in Cinder's nested
quotas approach. Main issue is inability to function without Keystone V3
API. I'm not sure if dropping support for V2 was intentional. Apart from
that some exceptions are silenced which results in odd behavior when
calling quotas from non-admin user.

I don't want to disappreciate the work you've done, but just signal that
quota management functionality isn't trivial to work on.

On the whole topic - I think this may be even cross-project effort. In
case of Cinder - we have quotas code that's very similar to Nova's, so I
will be watching work of the subteam very closely for any improvements
that can be applied to Cinder. We're struggling with quotas getting out
of sync all the time.