[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Configuration management for Fuel 7.0

Roman Sokolkov rsokolkov at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 1 15:38:01 UTC 2015

Hello, folks.

We need any kind of CM for Fuel 7.0. Otherwise new project with 800+ nodes
will be near impossible to support. Customer always wants to change
something.

In our opinion, there are two major approaches for CM:

#1 Independent CM (Puppet master, Chef, Ansible, whatever)
#2 Fuel-based CM

Solution for #2
----------

Fuel has all info about configuration. So we've tried to
unlock "Settings" [0] and push "deploy" button.

Major findings:

* Task idem-potency. Looks like most of the tasks are idempotent.
We've skipped 3 tasks on controller and were able to get NO downtime
for Horizon and "nova list". BTW deeper QA required.

* Standard changes. Operator can change parameters via WebUI, CLI or API.
For example, i was able to deploy Sahara. Unfortunately there is not
foolproof.
I mean some changes can lead to broken cloud...

* Non-standard changes. Any other changes can be done with plugins.
We can modify plugin tasks and scripts (all except UI flags). And then just
do "--update" + "--sync". BTW, we can change UI for particular env via API
by modifying "clusters/X/attributes".

Conclusion

- This works (We have service under cron that runs tasks) [1]
- NOT ready for production (in current state)
- This requires much deeper testing

I want to hear thoughts about approach above?
What is the current status/plans for CM? I saw this discussion [2]