[openstack-dev] [QA][Infra] Continuous OpenStack quality monitoring and quality improvement plan

Péter Hegedűs hpeter at inf.u-szeged.hu
Tue Dec 1 13:04:01 UTC 2015

2015.12.01. 13:45 keltezéssel, Andreas Jaeger írta:
> On 2015-12-01 13:30, Péter Hegedűs wrote:
>> Dear OpenStack QA and Dev Team,
>>
>> A small group at the Software Engineering Department of the University
>> of Szeged, Hungary is working on the quality improvements of OpenStack
>> modules in collaboration with Ericsson Hungary. We created a WIKI page
>> describing our goals and motivation doing this:
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/User_talk:P%C3%A9ter_Heged%C5%B1s
>> We would like to get your valuable feedback and comments on what are
>> your impressions about our plans. Do you think it is a good idea? Do you
>> think you can support the goal? If you think we should proceed
>> differently or simply have some additional thoughts, please let us know.
>> We hope our efforts will turn into a common value within the OpenStack
>> community.
>>
>> Thanks for reading our wiki.
>
> Projects already use pep8 and pylint. Most projects have pep8 set up and
> some also pylint as part of our gating. There's also bandit used for
> some projects.
>
> How does your approach relate to these tools?

We are aware of the use of pep8 and pylint in the gate jobs. Our
analysis process also runs these tools, but it also points out code
parts with extreme metric values (like long/complex methods, etc.) or
duplicated code parts as well. We think of it as a complementary method
for the gate jobs that developers can use for monitoring the modules and
helps them in making refactoring/re-implementation decisions. SonarQube
also provides a convinient web-based GUI for browsing the results.
Moreover, newcomers can also benefit from the QA analysis results, they
can learn the code base through fixing some simple quality issues.

> Glad to read that you want to refactor as well!

Thanks for the positive feedback. In fact we have already started with
some minor refactorings like removing code duplications or reducing the
high complexity of some methods. But we plan to go further and perform
more complex refactorings as well. If you have any specific refactoring
requests or ideas in mind, we are open to collaborate on those as well.

Best,
Peter