[openstack-dev] [all] Thoughts on python-future?

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 11:16:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm porting OpenStack code to Python 3 for two years. I'm happy with
six. It has been adopted by all OpenStack projects which are being
ported to (or have been ported to) Python 3. It was discussed to use
python-future in Swift, but Swift is now using six too.

I wrote a tool to port an OpenStack project to six:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sixer

It does at least half of the port for you. I wrote the tool to be able
to produce patches reviewable by a human: you can easily select which
operations are enabled or not to produce smaller patches, and you can
rerun the tool multiple times.

FYI I wrote an article to explain why I wrote a new tool for OpenStack:
https://haypo.github.io/python3-sixer.html

Victor