[openstack-dev] [mistral] Displaying wf hierarchy in CLI

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Mon Aug 31 17:15:25 UTC 2015

Team,

I’d like to discuss https://blueprints.launchpad.net/mistral/+spec/mistral-execution-origin <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/mistral/+spec/mistral-execution-origin>.

To summarize what it’s about: imagine that we have a workflow which calls other workflows and those workflows call some workflows again, etc. etc. In other words, we have a tree of workflows. Right now there isn’t a convenient way to track down the whole execution tree in CLI. For example, see a running workflow but I have no idea whether it was started by user manually or called by another (parent) workflow. In many cases it’s crucial to know, otherwise it’s really painful if we need to debug something or just figure out the whole picture of what’s going on.

What this BP offers is that we have an “origin ID” that would always tell the top level (the highest one) workflow execution since which it all started. This is kind of simple solution though and I thought we could massage this idea a little bit and could come up with something more interesting. For example, could we add a new option (i.e. --detailed or --recursive) for ‘mistral execution-get’ command and if it’s provided then we print out information not only about this wf execution itself but about it’s children as well? The only question is: how do we display a tree in CLI?

I also created an empty etherpad where we can sketch out how it could look like: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mistral-cli-workflow-execution-tree <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mistral-cli-workflow-execution-tree>

Any other ideas? Thoughts?

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.