[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] cputime value resets on restart/shutdown

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Mon Aug 31 17:06:55 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 31 2015, gord chung wrote:

> for context, we have an open bug in Ceilometer where the value used to capture
> cputime of an instance is being reset whenever the instance is restarted or
> shutdown[1]. this seems to be the expected behaviour for libvirt driver[2] but
> it conflicts with the fact that the meter is currently defined as 'cumulative'
> -- which by definition, should not reset. it seems the correct meter type is a
> 'gauge'.

Nah, gauge is for things with discrete values, e.g. a number of objects
in Swift.
Cumulative are counters that increase and that can be reset.
The problem is that the API still don't know to detect resets and
normalize the values.

That's what needs fixing. We could fix it with Gnocchi.

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker