[openstack-dev] [ANN] OpenStack Kilo on Ubuntu fully automated with Ansible! Ready for NFV L2 Bridges via Heat!

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 16:12:18 UTC 2015

Hey guys,

 I know, the Ansible deployment
(https://github.com/stackforge/os-ansible-deployment) is impressive...

 But, for our need, we required something much simpler, that could be
deployed in an all-in-one fashion, without LXC containers for each
service, Ansible against localhost to simplify even more and using
only one NIC to begin with (br-ex and vxlan data net are being used
against a dummy0 and dummy1 interfaces).

 So, the Stackforge deployments is far too much complex for what we need.

 We found some limitations and a serious bug on Linux (I'll report
later), when using it with Linux Bridges (OVS is a requirement here,
specially because we want to try DPDK later).

 Concerns about "stackforge/os-ansible-deployment":

 1- It does not make use of Ubuntu OpenStack packages, it installs
everything from Git and Python PIP (we don't like it this way, why not
use Ubuntu packages? No reason...);

 2- It uses Linux Bridges, but unfortunately, it is not ready yet for
NFV deployments (where an Instance acts as a L2 Bridge), it simple
doesn't work / can not be used for "L2-NFV" (we found a very serious
BUG on Linux);

 3- Very hard deployment procedure and it needs more that 1 physical
box (or more than one VM, 1 for Ansible host, 1 for controller and its
containers, 1 for Net node, and the compute nodes).

So, we need Open vSwitch (not supported by "os-ansible-deployment",
right?), OpenStack Ubuntu packages from Cloud Archive and a very
simple setup / topology (no containers / all-in-one physical box).

Basically, that's why I created this new Ansible playbook.

You can install OpenStack on Ubuntu LTS with 1 command:

---
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sandvine/os-ansible-deployment-lite/kilo/misc/os-install.sh)
---

Also, we need to patch Heat, to add support for "port_security_enabled
= False" via templates, that's why we're maintaining an Ubuntu PPA. To
backport things from Liberty, to Kilo.

We want to contribute with Ubuntu packaging, report bugs and etc,
that's why we're using it (instead of installation from Git).

Thoughts?

Best,
Thiago