[openstack-dev] Tracing a request (NOVA)

Dhvanan Shah dhvanan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 23:55:42 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to trace a request made for an instance and looking at the flow
in the code.
I'm just trying to understand better how the request goes from the
dashboard to the nova-api , to the other internal components of nova and to
the scheduler and back with a suitable host and launching of the instance.

i just want to understand as to how the request goes from the api-call to
the nova-api and so on after that.
I have understood the nova-scheduler and in that, the filter_scheduler
receives something called request_spec that is the specifications of the
request that is made, and I want to see where this comes from. I was not
very successful in reverse engineering this.

I could use some help as I want to implement a scheduling algorithm of my
own but for that I need to understand how and where the requests come in
and how the flow works.

If someone could guide me as to where i can find help or point in some
direction then it would be of great help.

--
Dhvanan Shah