[openstack-dev] [Fuel] How much do we rely on dnsmasq?

Andrey Danin adanin at mirantis.com
Fri Aug 28 18:31:32 UTC 2015

My biggest concern is about 4to6 translations. I would prefer to avoid them
as longer as it possible.

>From my point of view pure ipv6 is easier to implement than dual stack. I
see it like when you install Fuel node you decide once and forever what IP
version you are go with. We will have two implementations of Fuel - v4 and
v6 - and then will try to merge them together.

Another option may be if PXE, management, and storage networks are still
v4, but OSt API endpoints and Neutron are configured to use IPv6. But some
problems may hide there.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:27:24PM EDT, Andrey Danin wrote:
> > Hi, Sean,
> >
> > Dnsmasq is managed by Cobbler. Cobbler may also manage isc-dhcpd + BIND
> > [0].
>
> Great - thanks for the link.
>
> > So, switching from dnsmasq requires 2 more services been installed. I
> > think it's not a big deal to a update Cobbler container. The most work
> will
> > be in adding ipv6 support into everything: fuelmenu, Nailgun/UI, a lot of
> > Puppet modules, especially L23network module, OSTF. Also, it doubles QA
> > efforts.
>
> Thanks - I agree there is a lot of places we'll have to cover.
>
> > Other questions come up. Do we want to support dual stack too? When a
> user
> > will choose an IP version: once during master node installation or it'll
> be
> > allowed to switch over in any moment?
>
> I think probably in the first iteration it'll be dualstack, since we'll
> mostly just be working on enabling IPv6 in all the components. Stretch
> goal will be for Fuel to not require IPv4 at all so that in the future
> we can deploy it in IPv6 only environments.
>
> --
> Sean M. Collins

Andrey Danin
adanin at mirantis.com