[openstack-dev] [Fuel] How much do we rely on dnsmasq?

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Fri Aug 28 18:07:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:27:24PM EDT, Andrey Danin wrote:
> Hi, Sean,
>
> Dnsmasq is managed by Cobbler. Cobbler may also manage isc-dhcpd + BIND
> [0].

Great - thanks for the link.

> So, switching from dnsmasq requires 2 more services been installed. I
> think it's not a big deal to a update Cobbler container. The most work will
> be in adding ipv6 support into everything: fuelmenu, Nailgun/UI, a lot of
> Puppet modules, especially L23network module, OSTF. Also, it doubles QA
> efforts.

Thanks - I agree there is a lot of places we'll have to cover.

> Other questions come up. Do we want to support dual stack too? When a user
> will choose an IP version: once during master node installation or it'll be
> allowed to switch over in any moment?

I think probably in the first iteration it'll be dualstack, since we'll
mostly just be working on enabling IPv6 in all the components. Stretch
goal will be for Fuel to not require IPv4 at all so that in the future
we can deploy it in IPv6 only environments.

--
Sean M. Collins