[openstack-dev] [openstack][nova] Streamlining of config options in nova

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Fri Aug 28 15:16:54 UTC 2015

Markus Zoeller/Germany/IBM at IBMDE wrote on 08/19/2015 02:15:55 PM:

> From: Markus Zoeller/Germany/IBM at IBMDE
> Date: 08/19/2015 02:31 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [openstack][nova] Streamlining of config
> options in nova
>
> Markus Zoeller/Germany/IBM at IBMDE wrote on 08/17/2015 09:37:09 AM:
>
> > From: Markus Zoeller/Germany/IBM at IBMDE
> > <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
> > Date: 08/17/2015 09:48 AM
> > Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [openstack][nova] Streamlining of config
> > options in nova
> >
> > Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote on 08/12/2015 10:08:26 PM:
> >
> > > From: Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com>
> > > <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
> > > Date: 08/12/2015 10:14 PM
> > > Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [openstack][nova] Streamlining of
config
> > > options in nova
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Do we see https://review.openstack.org/#/c/205154/ as a reasonable
> > > example of such centralization? If not, what needs to change there
> > > make it an example of that centralization? I see value in having a
> > > worked example people can follow before we attempt a large number of

> > > these moves.
> > > [...]
> > > Michael

For the sake of completeness:
A) An example of the centralization of the config options which addresses
   the issues Marian mentioned in the beginning of this thread:
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/214581/4
   Module "nova/virt/vmwareapi/imagecache.py" is a good example how it
   should look like in the end.
B) A failed (and painful) attempt to replace the global CONF with an
   object, which was brought up by danpb:
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/218319/2
C) Enhancing oslo.config to provide more structure and information,
   which was brought up by myself [1][2]

TODO
----
1) I can create the blueprint to drive A), any veto?
2) I'll discuss C) with the oslo folks
3) I lack a good solution for B). Let's talk at the next summit about it