[openstack-dev] [nova][manila] "latest" microversion considered dangerous

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:35:14 UTC 2015

On Aug 28, 2015 6:49 AM, "Sean Dague" <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 08/28/2015 09:32 AM, Alex Meade wrote:
> > I don't know if this is really a big problem. IMO, even with
> > microversions you shouldn't be implementing things that aren't backwards
> > compatible within the major version. I thought the benefit of
> > microversions is to know if a given feature exists within the major
> > version you are using. I would consider a breaking change to be a major
> > version bump. If we only do a microversion bump for a backwards
> > incompatible change then we are just using microversions as major
versions.

> In the Nova case, Microversions aren't semver. They are content
> negotiation. Backwards incompatible only means something if time's arrow
> only flows in one direction. But when connecting to a bunch of random
> OpenStack clouds, there is no forced progression into the future.
>
> While each service is welcome to enforce more compatibility for the sake
> of their users, one should not assume that microversions are semver as a
> base case.
>
> I agree that 'latest' is basically only useful for testing. The

Sounds like we need to update the docs for this.

> python-novaclient code requires a microversion be specified on the API
> side, and on the CLI side negotiates to the highest version of the API
> that it understands which is supported on the server -

https://github.com/openstack/python-novaclient/blob/d27568eab50b10fc022719172bc15666f3cede0d/novaclient/__init__.py#L23

Considering how unclear these two points appear to be, are they clearly
documented somewhere? So that as more projects embrace microversions, they
don't end up having the same discussion.