[openstack-dev] [neutron][sfc] Neutron stadium distribution and/or packaging

Paul Carver pcarver at paulcarver.us
Fri Aug 28 12:08:46 UTC 2015

Has anyone written anything up about expectations for how "Big Tent" or
"Neutron Stadium" projects are expected to be
installed/distributed/packaged?

In particular, I'm wondering how we're supposed to handle changes to
Neutron components. For the networking-sfc project we need to make
additions to the API and corresponding additions to neutronclient as
well as modifying the OvS agent to configure new flow table entries in OvS.

The code is in a separate Git repo as is expected of a Stadium project
but it doesn't make sense that we would package altered copies of files
that are deployed by the regular Neutron packages.

Should we be creating 99%+ of the functionality in filenames that don't
conflict and then making changes to files in the Neutron and
neutronclient repos to stitch together the 1% that adds our new
functionality to the existing components? Or do we stage the code in the
Stadium project's repo then subsequently request to merge it into the
neutron/neutronclient repo? Or is there some other preferred way to
integrate the added features?