[openstack-dev] [Glance] upcoming glanceclient release

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 07:49:00 UTC 2015

On 27/08/15 15:32 -0400, Nikhil Komawar wrote:

>As a part of our continued effort to make the v2 primary API and get
>people to consume it without confusion we are planning to move ahead
>with the client release (the release would set the default version of
>API to 2). There haven't been any major/minor raised here.
>
>An issue regarding the possible impact of this release due to major bump
>was raised during the morning meeting however, the client release should
>follow semver semantics and indicate the same. A corresponding review
>for release notes exists that should merge before the release. This
>medium of communication seems enough; it follows the prescription for
>necessary communication. I don't seem to find a definition for necessary
>and sufficient media for communicating this information so will take
>what we usually follow.
>
>There are a few bugs [1] that could be considered as part of this
>release but do not seem to be blockers. In order to accommodate the
>deadlines of the release milestones and impact of releases in the
>upcoming week to other projects, we can continue to fix bugs and release
>them as a part of 1.x.x releases sooner than later as time and resource
>permit. Also, the high ones can be part of the stable/* backports if
>needed but the description has only shell impact so there isn't a strong
>enough reason.
>
>So, we need to move ahead with this release for Liberty.

+1

We've been making small steps towards this for a couple of cycles and
I'm happy we're finally switching the default version on the client
library.

The above being said, I believe our client library needs a lot of more
work but this release should set us in a better position to do that.

For folks consuming glanceclient, here's what you need to know:

If you're using glanceclient from your software - that is, you're
using the library and not the CLI - there's nothing you need to do. If
you're using the library, I'm assuming you're creating a client
instance using[0] or by instantiating the specific versioned client
class. Both of these cases require you to specify an API version to
use.

However, if you're using the CLI and you want to stick using the V1,
then you'll need to update your scripts and make sure they use
`--os-image-api 1`. Respectively, if your scripts are using
`--os-image-api 2`, then you should feel free to ignore that argument.

As a good practice, for now, I'd recommend specifying the argument
regardless of the version.

For other changes, please review the rel notes[1] (as soon as they are
there, or you can read[2])

[0] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-glanceclient/tree/glanceclient/client.py?h=stable/kilo#n21
[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-glanceclient/#release-notes
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/217591/

>[1]
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-glanceclient/+bugs?field.tag=1.0.0-potential

Thanks Stuart for tagging these bugs and everyone for raising great
concerns pro/against the release[0]. And thanks Erno for pushing this
out.

[0] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/glance/2015/glance.2015-08-27-14.00.log.html

Flavio