[openstack-dev] mock 1.3 breaking all of Kilo in Sid (and other cases of this kind)

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Aug 27 09:24:08 UTC 2015

On 08/26/2015 09:21 PM, Robert Collins wrote:

>>> Twisted's latest releases moved a private symbol that testtools
>>> unfortunately depends on.
>>> https://github.com/testing-cabal/testtools/pull/149 - and I just
>>> noticed now that Colin has added the test matrix we need, so we can
>>> merge this and get a release out this week.
>>
>> Hum... this is for the latest testtools, right? Could you help me with
>> fixing testtools 0.9.39 in Sid, so that Kilo can continue to build
>> there? Or is this too much work?
>
> Liberty will require a newer testtools, but the patch to twisted
> should be easily backportable - nothing else has changed near it (I
> just did an inspection of all the patches over the last year) - so it
> should trivially apply. [Except .travis.yml, which is irrelevant to
> Debian].

Thanks a lot for pointing to it. Indeed, the backport work was really
trivial, and now testtools 0.9.39 works perfectly in Sid. \o/

There's at least one issue which I know of: Horizon in Kilo needs
testtools, but it is also incompatible (ie: build-conflicts) with
python-unittest2, which is now a dependency of the newer testtools. So
upgrading to the latest testtools would make it impossible to build
Horizon with unit tests (which are by the way broken by mock 1.3).

> However, I'm not aware of any API breaks in testtools 1.8.0 that would
> affect kilo - we run the kilo tests in CI with latest testtools
> release; you may need the related dependencies updated as well though

Yes, which maybe is the problem (as per above). I prefer to not attempt
it right now, as it would be a lot of work.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)