[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Nova] The process around the Nova Ironic driver

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Wed Aug 26 23:20:04 UTC 2015

Hey Everyone,

John Villalovos and I have been acting as the Nova-Ironic liaisons, which
mostly means dealing with bugs that have been raised against the Ironic
driver in Nova. So you can understand what we’ve been doing, and how you
can help us do that job better, we’re writing this email to clarify the
process we’re following.

Weekly Bug Scrub: Each week (Tuesday 2300 UTC) John and Michael meet to go
through the results of this query
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?field.tag=ironic&orderby=-id&start=0
to find bugs that we don’t know about, to see what progress has been
happening, and to see if there’s any direct action that needs to be taken.
We record the result of this triage over here
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova-Ironic-Bugs

Fix Bugs: If we are able, and have the capacity, we try and fix bugs
ourselves. Where we need it, we seek help from both the Nova and/or Ironic
communities. But finding people to help fix bugs in the Nova Ironic driver
is probably an area we can do better at (*hint* *hint*)

Review Bugs: Once fixes are proposed, we solicit reviews for these fixes.
Once we’re happy that the proposed solution isn’t completely bonkers, one
of us will +1 that review, and add it to the list of Nova bugs that need
review by Nova:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/liberty-nova-priorities-tracking

Attend the Nova team meeting: One of us will attend the weekly IRC meeting
to represent the Ironic team interests within Nova. Nova might want to
discuss new requirements they have on drivers, or to discuss a bug that has
been raised, or to find out, or to communicate, which bugs the other team
feel are important to be addressed before the ever-looming next release.

Attend the Ironic team Meeting: John will attend the weekly IRC meeting to
raise any issues with the broader team that we become aware of.  It might
be that a new bug has been raised and we need to find someone willing to
take it on, or it may be that an existing bug with a proposed change is
languishing due to a lack of reviews (Michael can’t do that as 2:30am local
time is just a little wrong for an IRC meeting :)

So there it is, that's how the Ironic team are supporting the Ironic driver
in Nova.  If you have any questions, or just want to dive in and fix bugs
raised against the driver, you’re most welcome to get in touch - on IRC I’m
‘mrda’ and John is ‘jlvillal‘ :)

Michael…
Michael Davies   michael at the-davies.net
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia