[openstack-dev] [nova] CI for reliable live-migration

Timofei Durakov tdurakov at mirantis.com
Wed Aug 26 08:21:56 UTC 2015

Hello,

Here is the situation: nova has live-migration feature but doesn't have ci
job to cover it by functional tests, only
gate-tempest-dsvm-multinode-full(non-voting,
btw), which covers block-migration only.
The problem here is, that live-migration could be different, depending on
how instance was booted(volume-backed/ephemeral), how environment is
configured(is shared instance directory(NFS, for example), or RBD used to
store ephemeral disk), or for example user don't have that and is going to
use --block-migrate flag. To claim that we have reliable live-migration in
nova, we should check it at least on envs with rbd or nfs as more popular
than envs without shared storages at all.
Here is the steps for that:

   1. make  gate-tempest-dsvm-multinode-full voting, as it looks OK for
   block-migration testing purposes;
   2. contribute to tempest to cover volume-backed instances live-migration;
   3. make another job with rbd for storing ephemerals, it also requires
   changing tempest config;
   4. make job with nfs for ephemerals.

These steps should help us to improve current situation with
live-migration.

--
Timofey.