[openstack-dev] [third-party] Timeout waiting for ssh access

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Aug 25 15:06:00 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 05:01 AM, Tang Chen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody have any idea about this problem ?
>
> Since ubuntu does not have /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*,
> obviously it is a fedora like fs structure, we have tried to use centos,
> but we still got the same error.

This code is a work around for Rackspace specific networking details
that will fail on Ubuntu or in HPCloud and comes with a comment that
fails are expected so we don't run with errexit set. Basically this
should not be related to any of the problems with SSH timeouts.

For ssh timeouts you should be checking that the user set in the
nodepool.yaml config file for the image is able to ssh into the VMs
booted with your new images using the ssh key also specified in
nodepool.yaml. You can test this manually by booting the VM with nova
boot, then ssh'ing in by hand as the nodepool user using `ssh -i
/path/to/key yourusernamehere at ipaddress`. If this does work then it is
possible the default timeout for SSHing is simply too low and you can
increase the boot-timeout value [0].

[0] http://docs.openstack.org/infra/nodepool/configuration.html

Hope this helps,
Clark