[openstack-dev] [nova] testing for setting the admin password via the libvirt driver

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Aug 25 14:14:33 UTC 2015

Support to change the admin password on an instance via the libvirt
driver landed in liberty [1] but the hypervisor support matrix wasn't
updated [2].  There is a version restriction in the driver that it won't
work unless you're using at least libvirt 1.2.16.

We should be able to at least update the hypervisor support matrix that
this is supported for libvirt with the version restriction.  markus_z
actually pointed that out in the review of the change to add the support
but it was ignored.

The other thing I was wondering about was testing.  The check/gate queue
jobs with ubuntu 14.04 only have libvirt 1.2.2.

There is the fedora 21 job that runs on the experimental queue and I've
traditionally considered this a place to test out libvirt driver
features that need something newer than 1.2.2, but that only goes up to
libvirt 1.2.9.3 [3].

It looks like you have to get up to fedora 23 to be able to test this
set-admin-password function [4].  In fact it looks like the only major
distro out there right now that supports this new enough version of
libvirt is fc23 [5].

Does anyone fancy getting a f23 job setup in the experimental queue for
nova?  It would be nice to actually be able to test the bleeding edge
features that we put into the driver code.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/185910/
[2]
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/support-matrix.html#operation_set_admin_password
[3]