[openstack-dev] [neutron] How to make deb and rpm packages for a networking-* project?

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Mon Aug 24 15:13:25 UTC 2015

Can anyone recommend how best to make deb and rpm packages for a
networking-* project?

(Specifically, I mean for networking-calico, but I imagine, if there's a
best current practice, that it would apply to all such projects.)

I'm aware that there were recently some discussions on increased
unification of OpenStack packaging, but I'm not sure where those ended up.

I've also observed a few things from some quick searching:

- Some pages talk about automatically creating an RPM or Debian package
from a Python package's setup.py.  It appears that the Debian variant
might be more experimental / less officially approved of than the RPM
variant.

- There are official Debian packages (by zigo) for networking-arista and
a few others, but not for all networking-* projects.  These fall through
to Ubuntu/Launchpad as well.

- There are Ubuntu-originated packages for (at least) networking-odl.

So, all advice or pointers appreciated!

Thanks,
    Neil