[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Extending attached disks

Taylor.Bertie at solnet.co.nz Taylor.Bertie at solnet.co.nz
Sat Aug 22 01:19:10 UTC 2015

For RBDs it IS as simple as making calls to virsh after an attached volume is extended. I've done it half a dozen time with no intermediate steps and it works. I'd love to test it more robustly, obviously, but unfortunately I got bigger fish to fry with BAU.

iSCSI might involve more work, I acknowledge that, but there is nothing wrong with putting the framework in place now and throwing an "unsupported volume type" error message if we haven't worked out the best method for doing this for a particular type.

The way I see it, the only ones that are going to cause us problems are ones that require the host to suspend the disk prior to operating on it. In other words if the notification to the host can't be done atomically, that could definitely cause issues.

However, all the examples I have seem implemented in OpenStack volumes thus far (iSCSI, RDB) are either atomic or no notification required (in the case of RBD). Even Multipath is atomic (granted, it's multiple chained atomic operations, but still, they won't be left in an irrecoverable failure state).

Yes, the page you linked does warn about the issue when there is no path the device, however I think that if you're trying to resize a volume the compute node can't connect to, you got bigger problems (that is to say, throwing an error here is perfectly reasonable).

Regards,

Taylor Bertie
Enterprise Support Infrastructure Engineer

Mobile +64 27 952 3949
Phone +64 4 462 5030
Email taylor.bertie at solnet.co.nz

Solnet Solutions Limited