[openstack-dev] [Fuel] SSL keys saving

Alexander Kurenyshev akurenyshev at mirantis.com
Fri Aug 21 10:07:02 UTC 2015

Hi,
I absolutely agree with all points mentioned below. Especially about
security, because for now, as I know,  we have not any mechanisms to cut
out certs and keys from snapshots.
And as OSTF developer I'll be very grateful if there will be one way to get
certificates from the container.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Stanislaw Bogatkin <sbogatkin at mirantis.com
> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> Today I want to discuss the way we save SSL keys for Fuel environments. As
> you maybe know we have 2 ways to get a key:
> a. Generate it by Fuel (self-signed certificate will be created in this
> case). In this case we will generate private key, csr and crt in a
> pre-deployment hook on master node and then copy keypair to the nodes which
> needed it.
>
> b. Get a pre-generated keypair from user. In this case user should create
> keypair by himself and then upload it through Fuel UI settings tab. In this
> case keypair will be saved in nailgun database and then will serialized
> into astute.yaml on cluster nodes, pulled from it by puppet and saved into
> a file.
>
> Second way has some flaws:
> 1. We already have some keys for nodes and we store them on master node.
> Store keys in different places is bad, cause:
> 1.1. User experience - user should remember that in some cases keys will
> be store in FS and in some other cases - in DB.
> 1.2. It brings problems for implementation in other different places - for
> example, we need to get certificate for properly run OSTF tests and now we
> should implement two different ways to deliver that certificate to OSTF
> container. The same for fuel-cli - we should somehow get certificate from
> DB and place it in FS to use it.
> 2. astute.yaml is similar for all nodes. Not all of nodes needs to have
> private key, but now we cannot control this.
> 3. If keypair data serializes into astute.yaml it means than that data
> automatically will be fetched when diagnostic snapshot will created. So in
> some cases in can lead to security vulnerability, or we will must to write
> another crutch to cut it out of diagnostic snapshot.
>

> So I propose to get rid of saving keypair in nailgun database and
> implement a way to always saving it to local FS on master node. We need to
> implement next items:
>
> - Change UI logic that saving keypair into DB to logic that will save it
> to local FS
> - Implement according fixes in fuel-library

Best Regards,

Alex