[openstack-dev] [nova] feedback from the ops mid cycle summit

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 00:01:41 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

I attended the ops mid cycle summit on Tuesday and Wednesday and here are brief notes on the feedback I heard related to nova. Please feel free to add your comments or correct me if I got anything wrong.

Large Deployments Session [1]:

- There's a Neutron spec [2] for adding the capability to model an L3 network which is composed of L2 networks that are routed together, and this project will require cooperation from the nova side
- Cells v2 not coming along as quickly as expected. Cells v1 issues around compat between versions, understood it's not supported but it's been a problem
- Hierarchical multi-tenancy isn't yet supported (quotas)

Upgrades Session Report:
- Good linking of features to documentation is important
- Inter-service changes are important to call out
- Flavor migration is an example of something done well

Other general notes:
- Event capture is a choice between two bad options
- Information divided between events and logs. Have to capture both or you lose the whole picture
- Hard to trace RPC calls
- Race conditions with scheduling and quotas
- The state of Nova and NUMA is not understood
- Glance v2 is not being used. From what I understand, we can't move to it because images created by v1 can't be read by v2, for example?

All of the etherpads from the event are linked here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PAO-ops-meetup

Thanks,
-melanie (irc: melwitt)

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PAO-ops-large-deployments