[openstack-dev] [packaging] asks from the ops meetup

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Thu Aug 20 22:16:30 UTC 2015

On 08/20/2015 09:22 AM, Ian Cordasco wrote:

> On 8/19/15, 19:31, "Matthew Thode" <prometheanfire at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 08/19/2015 07:22 PM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
>>> Questions in-line, but I'd appreciate a better summary

>>> The etherpad doesn't have much on this topic, could you (or someone else
>>> from the mid-cycle) expound on this?
>>
>> Not sure, wasn't the one that brought it up, but a specific check on
>> config/doc generation did seem like a good idea.
>
> "A specific check on config/doc generation" is ironically vague here. What
> kind of check? That they can be generated? That the generated configs are
> properly read/parsed by the project? What is it that is being asked here?

that they can be generated

>>> So you want a doc-requirements.txt file? That doesn't have other
>>> libraries
>>> other than the documentation related ones?
>>>

>> Yes, though I think this may cover example config generation as well.

>>> Don't most projects already do this?
>>
>> iirc neutron at least does not
>
> I don't think you (as operators) should be afraid to say "These projects
> are not doing this. Here are the bugs that haven't been answered in
> several (days|weeks|months), please address them."

fair enough, I'll see about gathering / making some bugs

>>> Again, don't most projects have an etc/ directory inside of them?
>>
>> yes, though files have been removed in favor of dynamic generation.  The
>> more specific ask was for this to be auto generated and updated, which
>> we don't see as being done (could be wrong)
>
> I know Glance keeps theirs up-to-date even if they don't auto-generate
> them. I'm also confident that at least Keystone auto-generates them
> periodically and commits them to the tree. I haven't checked other
> projects recently.

yes, this needs proper enumeration, but I would also hope that the
projects could be more standard about how they do this

>>> At the end of what?
>>
>> of a test/gerrit run
>
> Then this already happens.

neat

>>> No services are published to PyPI. What is this about?
>>
>> Think this is more the bash autocomplete stuff
>
> So then this isn't about Services then (despite being under the Services
> section of the summary). So the client libraries don't have their
> setup.cfg's properly configured to include bash completion files. That's a
> fair complaint. That said, bandit recently did the right thing and we
> received a bug report (via IRC) from the gentoo packaging team that we
> were doing it wrong.

yes, haven't seen an update for that, will need to bug you tomorrow
about it :D

>>> This seems reasonable

>>> What?
>>
>> the init scripts may be going away because of wsgi, it's be in apache or
>> nginx or whatever

>>> Is nginx even supported in any of the services? If so, are we already
>>> gating on that?
>>>
>> The docs give example configs for apache mod_wsgi, this was an ask for
>> similiar with nginx.
>
> You fail to understand my point. Services that provide example configs for
> apache with mod_wsgi are choosing to explicitly support those
> configurations. Providing example configurations for nginx would imply a
> similar level of support from the teams documenting that. We would need to
> add gating to make sure the services behave well with nginx then as well.
> We could do this, but it isn't as simple as "adding a documentation
> example".

ok

--
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)