[openstack-dev] What's Up, Doc? 21 August 2015 (Early edition)

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Thu Aug 20 02:31:50 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

First of all, apologies for missing last week's newsletter: I got so
caught up in the documentation swarm happening here in Brisbane that it
totally slipped my mind! To make up for it, have this week's newsletter
a day early :) In swarm news, the two days ran extremely smoothly, much
to the credit of Suyog, Brian, and Alex who did the heavy lifting of
preparation and organisation. While we focused largely on copy editing,
we also had a lot of great discussion about the overall architecture of
the book, and now have a draft plan ready for Mitaka, which Darren is
driving with the Ops/Arch Guide speciality team.

While last week was all about the docs swarm, this week has been doing
the final cleanup on our newly converted RST books. The Security Guide
is now up, and the Cloud Admin and HA Guides aren't far behind. We're
also about to start testing the Install Guide, now that its conversion
is complete. Well done to all the people who have helped out on these
efforts, great job!

== Progress towards Liberty ==

55 days to go!

* RST conversion:
** Install Guide: Conversion is done, testing to begin soon.
** Cloud Admin Guide: is complete! The new version will be available on
docs.openstack.org very soon.
** HA Guide: is also done, and will available on the site soon.
** Security Guide: is complete, and live:
http://docs.openstack.org/security-guide/

* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Some user analysis has begun, with a new blueprint to land soon.

* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** Work has picked up on the Ironic docs again.

* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** If you currently work on documentation for a company that would like
to improve their upstream commits for documentation, please contact me!

* Improve communication with Docs Liaisons
** I'm very pleased to see liaisons getting more involved in our bugs
and reviews. Keep up the good work!

* Clearing out old bugs
** Sadly, no action on the spotlight bugs again this week. I'll keep the
current three bugs for this week, to give everyone a little more time.

== RST Migration ==

That's it! We're done!

Do you have ideas for which book should be next? Have a think on it, and
we'll discuss this at Summit.

== Training Guides ==

I'm happy to announce that the Training Labs are now in their own repo,
and are considered a documentation speciality team. Well done to Pranav,
Matjaz, Sayali, and Roger for driving this effort.

== Countdown to Summit ==

With the Liberty release less than two months away, that means it's
nearly Summit time again: https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-2015/

Here's a few things you might want to be thinking about:
* Do you need a visa to visit Japan? If so, you need to be organising
this NOW: https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-2015/tokyo-and-travel/#visa
* Do you have an ATC pass? If you haven't received your pass yet, and
you're an ATC, please contact me so I can chase this up for you.
Remember to use your ATC discount code before 31 August to make sure you
get the full price discounted.

== Doc team meeting ==

The APAC meeting was held this week. Read the minutes here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-08-19

The next meetings are:
US: Wednesday 26 August, 14:00:00 UTC
APAC: Wednesday 2 September, 00:30:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

== Spotlight bugs for this week ==

Let's give these three a little more love:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1257018 VPNaaS isn't
documented in cloud admin

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1257656 VMware: add
support for VM diagnostics

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1261969 Document nova
server package

- --

Remember, if you have content you would like to add to this newsletter,
or you would like to be added to the distribution list, please email me
directly at openstack at lanabrindley.com, or visit:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana