[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Extending attached disks

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 01:53:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM, <Taylor.Bertie at solnet.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Apologises for the duplicate send, looks like my mail client doesn't
> create very clean HTML messages. Here is the message in plain-text. I'll
> make sure to send to the list in plain-text from now on.
>
> In my current pre-production deployment we were looking for a method to
> live extend attached volumes to an instance. This was one of the
> requirements for deployment. I've worked with libvirt hypervisors before so
> it didn't take long to find a workable solution. However I'm not sure how
> transferable this will be across deployment models. Our deployment model is
> using libvirt for nova and ceph for backend storage. This means obviously
> libvirt is using rdb to connect to volumes.
>
> Currently the method I use is:
>
> - Force cinder to run an extend operation.
> - Tell Libvirt that the attached disk has been extended.
>
> It would be worth discussing if this can be ported to upstream such that
> the API can handle the leg work, rather than this current manual method.
>
> Detailed instructions.
> You will need: volume-id of volume you want to resize, hypervisor_hostname
> and instance_name from instance volume is attached to.
>
> Example: extending volume f9fa66ab-b29a-40f6-b4f4-e9c64a155738 attached to
> instance-00000012 on node-6 to 100GB
>
> $ cinder reset-state --state available f9fa66ab-b29a-40f6-b4f4-e9c64a155738
> $ cinder extend f9fa66ab-b29a-40f6-b4f4-e9c64a155738 100
> $ cinder reset-state --state in-use f9fa66ab-b29a-40f6-b4f4-e9c64a155738
>
> $ssh node-6
> node-6$ virsh qemu-monitor-command instance-00000012 --hmp "info block" |
> grep f9fa66ab-b29a-40f6-b4f4-e9c64a155738
> drive-virtio-disk1: removable=0 io-status=ok
> file=rbd:volumes-slow/volume-f9fa66ab-b29a-40f6-b4f4-e9c64a155738:id=cinder:key=<keyhere>==:auth_supported=cephx\\;none:mon_host=10.1.226.64\\:6789\\;10.1.226.65\\:6789\\;10.1.226.66\\:6789
> ro=0 drv=raw encrypted=0 bps=0 bps_rd=0 bps_wr=0 iops=0 iops_rd=0 iops_wr=0
>
> This will get you the disk-id, which in this case is drive-virtio-disk1.
>
> node-6$ virsh qemu-monitor-command instance-00000012 --hmp "block_resize
> drive-virtio-disk1 100G"
>
> Finally, you need to perform a drive rescan on the actual instance and
> resize and extend the file-system. This will be OS specific.
>
> I've tested this a few times and it seems very reliable.
>
> Taylor Bertie
> Enterprise Support Infrastructure Engineer
>
> Mobile +64 27 952 3949
> Phone +64 4 462 5030
> Email taylor.bertie at solnet.co.nz
>
> Solnet Solutions Limited
> Level 12, Solnet House
> 70 The Terrace, Wellington 6011
> PO Box 397, Wellington 6140
>
> www.solnet.co.nz
>
> Attention:
> This email may contain information intended for the sole use of
> the original recipient. Please respect this when sharing or
> disclosing this email's contents with any third party. If you
> [...]

​Hey Taylor,

This is something that has come up a number of times but I personally
didn't have a good solution for it on the iSCSI side.  I'm not sure if your
method would work with iSCSI attached devices because typically you need to
detach/reattach for size changes to take effect, in other words I'm
uncertain if libvirt would be able to see the changes.  That being said I
also didn't know about this option in libvirt so it may work out.

I'll let the Nova folks reply regarding interest from their side in the M
release, but I know from the Cinder side and the Trove side this would in
fact be a desireable feature.

Appreciate the detailed write up, and again WELCOME!!

Thanks,
John​