[openstack-dev] [packaging] asks from the ops meetup

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Thu Aug 20 00:31:42 UTC 2015

On 08/19/2015 07:22 PM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
> Questions in-line, but I'd appreciate a better summary
>
> On 8/19/15, 17:50, "Matthew Thode" <prometheanfire at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll start by giving this out, but I'll also summarize the asks we had
>>from upstream.
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PAO-ops-packaging
>>

>> General services:
>>  - gate check on example config and doc generation
>>    - was mentioned this has broken in the past and taken a while to fix
>
> The etherpad doesn't have much on this topic, could you (or someone else
> from the mid-cycle) expound on this?

Not sure, wasn't the one that brought it up, but a specific check on
config/doc generation did seem like a good idea.

>>  - document dependencies needed for config/doc generation
>>    - (not all of test requirements)
>
> So you want a doc-requirements.txt file? That doesn't have other libraries
> other than the documentation related ones?

Yes, though I think this may cover example config generation as well.

>>  - generated example configs generated and stored in an automated way
>>    - (in lieu of packagers generating the configs dynamically)
>
> Don't most projects already do this?

iirc neutron at least does not

>>  - A place to look for files that go in /etc
>
> Again, don't most projects have an etc/ directory inside of them?

yes, though files have been removed in favor of dynamic generation.  The
more specific ask was for this to be auto generated and updated, which
we don't see as being done (could be wrong)

>>  - Publish pip-freeze at the end
>
> At the end of what?

of a test/gerrit run

>>  - Don't strip out files in the repo when publishing to pip
>
> No services are published to PyPI. What is this about?

Think this is more the bash autocomplete stuff

>>  - Publish an example init-script (systemd)
>
> This seems reasonable
>
>>    - I think this might be going away with wsgi
>
> What?

the init scripts may be going away because of wsgi, it's be in apache or
nginx or whatever

>> Docs:
>>  - nginx wsgi examples
>
> Is nginx even supported in any of the services? If so, are we already
> gating on that?

The docs give example configs for apache mod_wsgi, this was an ask for
similiar with nginx.

--
-- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)