[openstack-dev] [Neutron] "binding information" for networks

Gal Sagie gal.sagie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 18:34:47 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Recently i have came across two use cases that having "binding"
information, or metadata
for networks can be useful. (similar to the port binding profile for that
matter)

For example:

1) In project Kuryr we want to have a binding information which maps the
Neutron network
    to docker network (And we might want to do it prior to the docker
network being created,
    that is assign a network that is ready to be attached) so this field
also needs to be editable
    (just like the port binding profile)

2) For multi site OpenStack (multi cloud) use cases we might want to share
information which
    binds logically same network that is created at each OpenStack cloud
site (and hence the ID's
    are different).
    (Something like this could be useful for project Tricircle for example)

3) Use cases for multi controllers environments? (each controller manage
different networks?)

I believe adding such optional field to the network API is really low risk
due to its being optional
and i believe other use cases can be found to leverage it.

Feel free to share ideas/comments.

If there are no strong objections to it, i will add an RFE/Spec to add this
ability.

Thanks
Gal.