[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Great updates to tests and CI jobs

Roman Prykhodchenko me at romcheg.me
Wed Aug 19 15:38:35 UTC 2015

Hi folks!

Today I’m proud to announce that since this moment python-fuelclient has it’s own python-jobs in OpenStack CI. Thanks to all of you who helped me making Fuel Client compatible with the upstream CI.
Besides sharing great news I think it’s necessary to share changes we had to do, in order to accomplish this result.

First of all tests were reorganized: now functional and unit tests have their own separate folders inside the fuelclient/tests directory. That allowed us to distinguish them from both the CI and a developer’s point of view, so there will be no mess we used to have.

The other change we’ve made is deleting run_tests.sh*. It is possible to run and manage all the tests via tox which is a de-facto standard in OpenStack ecosystem. That also means anyone who is familiar with any of OpenStack projects will be able to orchestrate tests without a need to learn anything. Tox is preconfigured to run py26, py27, pep8, cover, functional, and cleanup environments. py26 and py27 only run unit tests and cover also involves calculating coverage. functional fires up Nailgun and launches functional tests. cleanup stops Nailgun, deletes its DB and any files left after functional tests and what you will definitely like — cleans up all *.pyc files. By default tox executes environments in the following order: py26->py27->pep8->functional->cleanup.

Minimal tox was updated to 2.1 which guarantees no external environment variable is passed to tests.

The jobs on OpenStack CI are set to be non-voting for a few days to give it a better try. On the next week we will switch them to voting. At the same time we will remove unit tests from FuelCI to not waste extra time.

* Technically it is kept in place to keep compatibility with FuelCI but it only invokes tox from inside. It will be removed later, when it’s time to switch off unit tests on FuelCI.

- romcheg