[openstack-dev] [requirements] [global-requirements] [mistral] Using pika library

Nikolay Makhotkin nmakhotkin at mirantis.com
Wed Aug 19 14:16:14 UTC 2015

Hi, Davanum!

Have you already read the thread [1]? It is about acknowledge feature in
oslo.messaging. Particularly, about the absent of this feature in
oslo.messaging.

The guys from messaging said that it is very problematically to add that
kind of feature to oslo.messaging because it does not fit to
oslo.messaging's approach.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-July/068806.html

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nikolay,
>
> Do you mean that you will *NOT* use oslo.messaging and use pika directly.
> I'd strongly discourage that possibility.
>
> Few members on the oslo.messaging team are looking at pika library already
> and are doing a prototype:
>
> https://github.com/dukhlov/oslo.messaging/blob/master/oslo_messaging/_drivers/impl_pika.py
>
> If you are interested in that effort, please let us know.
>
> Thanks,
> Dims
>

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Nikolay Makhotkin <
> nmakhotkin at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, folks!
>>
>> Recently we've had the discussion with oslo.messaging team about
>> acknowledge feature in RabbitMQ:
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-July/068806.html
>>
>> After that Mistral team did the research about using *kombu *or *pika*
>> library for implementation of remote procedure call server. Both kombu and
>> pika was met our requirements. But we would prefer to use *pika* by next
>> reasons:
>>
>>  1. It is less complex than *kombu*;
>>  2. *kombu* itself is abstraction of messaging (but we don't need that);
>>  3. We had the discussion with one of RabbitMQ developer which advised us
>> to use *pika* (comparing to *kombu*)
>>

>> Is it possible to add *pika *to the global-requirements for our needs?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Nikolay