[openstack-dev] [UX] [Keystone] [Horizon] Pagination support for Identity dashboard entities

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 03:04:13 UTC 2015

On 08/15/2015 01:15 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com
> <mailto:ayoung at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/14/2015 12:43 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
>     > 1- Do users want to page through search results?
>     Does not matter:  in Federation, the User list is not available.
>

> Let's back up here for a sec: A user wants to page a list of data.
> This is something horizon needs, traditionally relying on keystone,
> and now keystone has broken backwards compatibility for horizon
> because of one use case, without taking responsibility for it and
> providing (with code) a good alternative. Furthermore, you and your
> team are saying "You should go use a different service that's better
> at this", which is basically saying "We live in this silo, we don't
> have to care about other silo's".

NO.  What we are saying is you are asking for infromation in a away that
the technoliogies that OpenStack is pulling together cannot support.

> You broke backwards compatibility. It's your responsibility to address it.

No. The world moved on.

Keystone pagination in SQL is trivial.  It is also useless.

LDAP does not support paging.  The majority of the deployments us LDAP
for the back end.

In as SAML/OpenID deployment there is no way to list users.

> The other argument I'm hearing here is that keystone is responsible
> for authentication and authorization, but not user management. I
> actually agree with this, but nobody's started a user management
> service and/or its delegation plugins, so now we have a rather large
> hole in horizon's features, late in a release cycle, and nobody has
> the resources to address it. What do you propose to do about it?

We don't maintain MySQL, either.  Use an external tool for user
management. There are numerous, and OpenStack can integrate with them
via LDAP or SAML.   Other technologies coming soon, too.