[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] setting minimum version of setuptools in setup.py

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 16:44:24 UTC 2015

Le 29/07/2015 18:12, Clay Gerrard a écrit :
> I agree an error message is better than breaking for insane reasons.
>
> But... maybe as an aside... what about not breaking?

Well, yes, but *who* wants to do that?

Old versions of setuptoolsl, pip and pbr have a lot of issues. It will
be a nightmare to workaround them.

For example, it was really difficult to handle dependencies which depend
on the Python version (for python <= 2.6, for python >= 3.0, etc.).
Environment markers solve a real concrete issue. Trying to working
around environment markers is like reinventing the wheel, it doesn't
sound like a good idea to me.

For me, it's a better investment to work upstream on setuptools, pip and
pbr, and require recent versions.

Victor