[openstack-dev] [UX] [Keystone] [Horizon] Pagination support for Identity dashboard entities

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 22:10:19 UTC 2015

On 08/14/2015 05:24 PM, Adam Young wrote:
> On 08/14/2015 12:43 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
>> 1- Do users want to page through search results?
> Does not matter:  in Federation, the User list is not available.

OK, so hobble the entire REST API for the
deficiencies/architecture/reality of a single authentication/identity
strategy.

>> 2- Do users want to page through filter results? (do they use filter
>> results?)
> This is the only practical tool available for LDAP.

Again, hobble the entire API for the deficiencies and anachronisms of a
single identity driver.

>> 3- If they want to page, do they want to be able to go back a page
>> and/or know their current page?
>> 4- How much do users care about small data inconsistencies (i.e.
>> ordering of record sets changing from page-to-page).
>
> So, yeah, we could support paging for SQL.

That would be great. Double bonus if this pagination API followed the
examples of all the other OpenStack API services and didn't invent its
own terms (page, per_page...).

> That is becoming a repository for service users only.  For the use
> cases requested, we do not have the ability to implement.

Sure, but what you[1] *do* have the ability to implement is a
capabilities discovery REST API that would allow tools like Horizon to
determine if the only option available for them would be a filtering
API, with no pagination capabilities.

It would be super awesome if Keystone had such a capabilities discovery API.

Best,
-jay

[1] I don't mean *you* personally, Adam :)