[openstack-dev] Migrating existing projects in the stackforge namespace

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Fri Aug 14 21:01:07 UTC 2015

Hi,

As mentioned previously[1], we are retiring the stackforge/ namespace
for git repositories and creating new projects in openstack/.  This is
largely a cosmetic change and does not change the governance model for
new projects.

As part of this we want to move all of the projects that are currently
in the stackforge/ namespace into openstack/ to make it easier for them
to become official OpenStack projects in the future while reducing the
impact to the community that the current practice of sporadic renaming
causes.

To that end, I propose the following process:

1) We choose a date upon which to perform a mass migration of all
stackforge/ projects into openstack/.

I suggest either October 17 or November 7 (both Saturdays), as least
likely to interfere with the release or summit.

2) We create a wiki page for all such projects to either sign up for
that migration or indicate that they are no longer maintained.

3) Any stackforge projects that do not sign up for the migration within
a certain time are placed on the list of projects that are no longer
maintained.

4) We attempt to contact, by way of posts to the openstack-dev mailing
list, announcements at the cross project meeting, and direct emails to
the individuals who initially requested repository creation, people who
might be responsible for projects which have not responded and ensure
that they have a chance to respond.  We will freeze the list of projects
and portions of the project-config repository several days before the
migration, to facilitate creating and reviewing the necessary change.

5) On the migration date, the Infrastructure team will move all of the
projects at once.  We will generate the changes needed to do so
automatically, individual projects will not need to do anything except
approve .gitreview changes and possibly help fix any CI jobs that break
as a result of the moves.

6) For the projects that are no longer maintained, we will merge changes
to them that indicate that and make them read-only.

We will schedule a move in early September for the projects that have
already requested moves as part of becoming official OpenStack projects.
Please don't propose any more changes to move projects before the mass
migration.

While most new projects are being created directly in the openstack/
namespace, we will continue to create additional git repositories
associated with existing projects in the stackforge/ namespace so that
the constituent repositories associated with those projects are not
split across namespaces.  We will happily move those projects along with
the rest as part of the mass migration.

Please reply with any feedback or suggested improvements to this plan.
If we can achieve consensus on the approach, we will make further
announcements as to specifics soon.

Thanks,

Jim

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-August/071816.html