[openstack-dev] [Compass] Call for contributors

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 06:19:35 UTC 2015

On 12 August 2015 at 17:23, Weidong Shao <weidongshao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Compass is not new to OpenStack community. We started it as an OpenStack
> deployment tool at the HongKong summit. We then showcased it at the Paris
> summit.
>
> However, the project has gone through some changes recently. We'd like to
> re-introduce Compass and welcome new developers to expand our efforts,
> share in its design, and advance its usefulness to the OpenStack community.
>
> We intend to follow the 4 openness guidelines and enter the "Big Tent". We
> have had some feedback from TC reviewers and others and realize we have
> some work to do to get there. More developers interested in working on the
> project will get us there easier.
>
> Besides the openness Os, there is critical developer work we need to get
> to one of the OpenStack Os.  For example, we have forked Chef cookbooks,
> and Ansible written from scratch for OpenStack deployment. We need to merge
> the Compass Ansible playbooks back to openstack upstream repo
> (os-ansible-deployment).
>
> We also need to reach out to other related projects, such as Ironic, to
> make sure that where our efforts overlap, we provided added value, not
> different ways of doing the same thing.
>
> Lot of work we think will add to the OpenStack community.
>

>    - The project wiki page is at https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Compass
>    - The launchpad is: https://launchpad.net/compass
>    - The weekly IRC meeting is on openstack-meeting4 0100 Thursdays UTC
>    (or Wed 6pm PDT)
>    - Code repo is under stackforge
>    https://github.com/stackforge/compass-core
>    https://github.com/stackforge/compass-web
>    https://github.com/stackforge/compass-adapters
>
> Hi Weidong,

This looks like an excellent project and we (the openstack-ansible project)
love to assist you with the integration of Compass with openstack-ansible
(aka os-ansible-deployment).

I'd like to discuss with your team how we can work together to facilitate
Compass' consumption of the playbooks/roles we produce in a suitable way
and will try to attend the next meeting as I seem to have missed this
week's meeting). We'd like to understand the project's needs so that we can
work towards defined goals to accommodate them, while also maintaining our
stability for other downstream consumers.

We also invite you to attend our next meeting on Thu 16:00 UTC in
#openstack-meeting-4 - details are here for reference:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/openstack-ansible#Community_Meeting

Looking forward to working with you!

Best regards,

Jesse