[openstack-dev] [neutron][qos] request to merge feature/qos back into master

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Aug 12 19:55:59 UTC 2015

Hi all,

with great pleasure, I want to request a coordinated review for
merging feature/qos branch back to master:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/212170/

Since it's a merge patch, gerrit fails to show the whole diff that it
introduces into master. To get over it, fetch the patch:

$ git review -d 212170

and then check the difference:

$ git fetch origin && git diff origin/master...

I think we should stick to review process originally suggested at [1].
Specifically, since it's not reasonable to expect the whole feature
branch to be reviewed by a single person, I hope multiple people will
assign themselves to the job and split the pieces to review based on
devref document that describes the feature [2] (Note that a new RPC
push/pull mechanism is described in a separate devref section [3]).

Note that we don't expect to tackle all review comments, however tiny,
in feature/qos. We are happy to handle major flaws there, but for
minor stuff, it's good to proceed in master. Nevertheless we are happy
to get minors too and collect them for post-merge.

Things we have in the tree:

- - server: QoS API extension; QoS core resource extension; QoS ML2
extension driver; QoS versioned objects + base for new objects; QoS
supported rule types mechanism for ML2; QoS notification drivers
mechanism to update SDN controllers;

- - RPC: new push/pull mechanisms for versioned objects to propagate QoS
objects into the agents;

- - agent side: new L2 agent extensions mechanism, integrated into OVS
and SR-IOV agents; QoS l2 agent extension; OVS and SR-IOV QoS drivers;
ovs_lib and pci_lib changes.

I suggest to split review into following logical pieces:

- - API controller + service plugin + API tests;
- - Versioned objects: neutron.objects.*
- - ML2: supported_qos_rule_types mechanism, extension driver, update
for get_device_details payload;
- - RPC mechanism (push/pull), resource manager, registries +
notification drivers integration;
- - l2 extensions (manager, base interface) + qos extension;
- - OVS integration with extension manager + OVS QoS driver + ovs_lib
changes;
- - SR-IOV agent integration with extension manager + SR-IOV QoS driver
+ pci_lib changes;
- - functional tests.

We will also need to update the spec:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/199112/

Included test coverage:

- - unit tests;
- - API tests;
- - functional tests (more scenarios to come in master);
- - fullstack tests [4] (not in the tree since we need to merge client
and base fullstack patches first).

We have client patches up for review [5][6] and expect them to go in
after merge of server component.

We hope that we'll make fullstack in before closing the blueprint in
this cycle.

[1]:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-July/069188.html
[2]: