[openstack-dev] [kolla] Developers please assign yourself 3 or more Docker templates

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Tue Aug 11 15:54:13 UTC 2015

Hi,

Alicja has been heading up this blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla/+spec/dockerfile-template

Other projects like TripleO and downstreams depend on this change to happen as soon as possible.  It is a mountain of work – too much for one person to finish in a sprint.  I’d like to distribute the load to all our developers, so everyone understands how the templates work and how to make them for new containers.  After we have good confidence in the new container set, we will delete the docker directory as it exists today.

The work is being coordinated by Alicja here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kolla-dockerfile-template

Please expand the etherpad with the various containers we have for the various services.  Then assign yourself 3 or more :)  I’d estimate we have about 50 containers or more, so if folks can pick up 4 or 5 it would be ideal.  Before beginning work I’d like to see a reference implementation of an infra container and a basic service container from either Alicja or Sam or a combination of both so we can copy the same style throughout the code base.  If you pick a service with multiple containers, try to do the whole thing.  If you already have experience with the containers in that area (for example Ryan with Cinder) it might be ideal to pick that container.  I picked the Heat containers for example because I have experience with them.

Keep in mind we have a different blueprint to implement RHEL support in containers, and I’d really REALLY like to see that land for liberty-3, which means we can’t have this work land at the end of l3 and expect RHEL support to land in 1 day :)

Lets pick rabbitmq and keystone as our reference containers.  Sam or Alicja please crank out some ref implementations of these as soon as possible (top priority) since everyone is blocked on that work.

Regards,
-steve