[openstack-dev] [oslo] Question on oslo_i18n._message

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Aug 11 14:35:41 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Okuma, Wayne's message of 2015-08-11 02:49:28 +0000:

I think the idea is to use the existing HTTP headers for describing the
locale, rather than an explicit parameter to the API endpoint.

> > This seems to work:
> >
> > import oslo_i18n
> >
> > # Assumes GLANCE_JSON_LOCALEDIR has been set appropriately.
> > def translate(message, locale=None):
> >     obj = oslo_i18n._message.Message(message, domain='glance-json')
> >     return oslo_i18n.translate(obj, locale) ...
> > # then in code...
> >     def _format_namespace_from_db(self, namespace_obj, locale=None):
> >         display_name=translate(namespace_obj['display_name'], locale),
> >
> > The returned display_name will have the correct version based on the locale passed in.
> >
> > But, is this correct usage of oslo_i18n._message()?
> > Or is it to remain hidden since it is not part of oslo_i18n.__init__py?
> > If it is to remain hidden, then, what would be the better way of getting a "dynamic" translation based on some arbitrary locale that is passed in.
> >
> > If you don't know the answer, but, know someone that might - please pass on their name(s) and I can try to contact them directly.
> >
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Wayne Okuma
>
> As you surmise, the "_message" module is marked private (note the "_" prefix on the name), so you shouldn't use it directly. The fact that Message objects exists is an implementation detail of the lazy translation machinery, and isn't meant to be something that applications rely on.
>
> You could use oslo_i18n.TranslatorFactory to get a function to wrap your strings instead [1].  The "primary" attribute should be what you want. Passing the return value to translate() would then give you the translated value.
>
> Something like:
>
>   factory = oslo_i18n.TranslatorFactory('glance-json')
>   trans = factory.primary
>
>   def translate(message, locale=None):
>       return oslo_i18n.translate(trans(message), locale)
>
> This ought to work whether lazy translation is enabled or not, as long as the catalog files are installed properly.
>
> Doug
>
> WO: The above works for me...Thanks. I'm curious if there will be a version in which a "global" set of already opened catalogues will be kept for the sake of efficiency?

You can hold onto the TranslatorFactory instance to accomplish that, but
we don't have any plans to hide something like that inside the library.

Doug