[openstack-dev] [cinder]Do we have plan for restoring on-line volume?

hao wang sxmatch1986 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 03:30:14 UTC 2015

@Duncan and John, thank you both and I have understood this.  The reason I
ask this question is we can't restore the boot volume of instance which is
boot-from-volume, since Nova can't detach the boot disk now. So we need to
figure out a way to solve this issue.

Maybe we should let nova can detach the boot disk, but there are also some
problems, like "what state should be set after detach the boot disk? Can
user reboot/stop/migrate the instance after detach the boot disk? etc".

Anyway, I feel it may be a long way to solve this issue properly.

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 3:47 AM, hao wang <sxmatch1986 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry if I missed something, since now we have supported backup in-use
>> volumes in L,  so I wonder is there some plan or design to support
>> restoring on-line volumes.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Best Wishes For You!

>> ​No, a restore operation is going to require that the volume be taken
> offline for a number of reasons.  Even with multi-attach if/when it ever
> becomes a reality you can't write to the volume while it's in use by
> another Instance (corruption, file system updates etc etc)​ unless you're
> using a shared FS or clustered File System.
>
> That's a use case that I don't think has a ton of value and it's not
> compelling enough to introduce all of the issues that come along with it
> IMO.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Best Wishes For You!