[openstack-dev] Detach a volume when it's under migration

hao wang sxmatch1986 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 06:55:56 UTC 2015

I think cinder allow detach volume when it's under migration, but the
volume status will not become 'detaching' or 'available'.

See the code of begin_detaching in cinder:

        # If we are in the middle of a volume migration, we don't want the
user
        # to see that the volume is 'detaching'. Having 'migration_status'
set
        # will have the same effect internally.
        if volume['migration_status']:
            return

The volume status should be updated correctly when migration is finish.

There is a routine in  _migrate_volume_generic to update the new volume
status after driver.copy_volume_data is done.

> Detach a volume when it's under migration, volume status is still “in-use”:
>
> 1.       create vol-1
>
> 2.       attach vol-1 to a vm
>
> 3.       migrate vol-1
>
> 4.       when vol-1 is under migration, detach vol-1
>
> 5.       after vol-1 is detached, command “cinder list” show that the
> Status of vol-1 is still “in-use”.
>

> If 'migration_status' of the volume is not None, detach process won’t
> update the status of the volume to 'available':
>

>         volume_ref = _volume_get(context, volume_id, session=session)
>
>         if not remain_attachment:
>
>             # Hide status update from user if we're performing volume
> migration
>
>             # or uploading it to image
>
>             if (*not volume_ref['migration_status']* and
>
>                     not (volume_ref[*'status'*] == *'uploading'*)):
>
>                 volume_ref[*'status'*] = *'available'*
>

> So how to deal with this? Dose it means that we should not detach a volume
> when it’s under migration?
>

> Thanks for any input!

Best Wishes For You!