[openstack-dev] Gaining access to consoles.

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Aug 10 05:59:50 UTC 2015

Hi All,
    Nova has bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1447679 (service No-VNC
(port 6080) doesn't require authentication).

Which explains that if you know the 'token'[1] associated with an instances
console you can get access to said console without otherwise proving that you
should be allowed access to that instance[3].

Nothing limits the problem to VNC, so all console types are potentially affected.

There is a proposed solution (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/182129) which
adds a config option that means a token is only valid for a single usei[4].
The assertion is that bookmarking a URL to a console and then using it multiple
times is something that we want to still allow albeit discouraged.  When the
config value is introduced it will default to False (meaning that the
bookmarking scenario above will still work).  At some stage it'd be ideal to
invert this so that the option is True and operators can switch it if
appropriate.

I don't think that much of that in controversial, my question is what should
the schedule for switching this be?  Assuming we land a fix in Liberty[5], make
the change in Mitaka? Norbert?

Also is being able to bookmark/save the token a thing that users do?

Yours Tony.

[1] How you get that token isn't really the issue, it could be a network or
    browser issue [2]
[2] I should look at the documentation of how we configure console access to
    ensure it's "secure" by default
[3] Even if the console isn't logged in this is a bad thing(tm)
[4] There is an outstanding issue with SPICE that is being looked into
[5] Which isn't a given.