[openstack-dev] Detach a volume when it's under migration

liuxinguo liuxinguo at huawei.com
Mon Aug 10 05:09:47 UTC 2015

Detach a volume when it's under migration, volume status is still "in-use":

1.       create vol-1

2.       attach vol-1 to a vm

3.       migrate vol-1

4.       when vol-1 is under migration, detach vol-1

5.       after vol-1 is detached, command "cinder list" show that the Status of vol-1 is still "in-use".

If 'migration_status' of the volume is not None, detach process won't update the status of the volume to 'available':

        volume_ref = _volume_get(context, volume_id, session=session)
        if not remain_attachment:
            # Hide status update from user if we're performing volume migration
            # or uploading it to image
            if (not volume_ref['migration_status'] and
                    not (volume_ref['status'] == 'uploading')):
                volume_ref['status'] = 'available'

So how to deal with this? Dose it means that we should not detach a volume when it's under migration?

Thanks for any input!