[openstack-dev] stable is hosed

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Fri Aug 7 22:27:41 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> On 8/7/2015 3:52 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>
>> Well it's a Friday afternoon so you know what that means, emails about
>> the stable branches being all busted to pieces in the gate.
>>
>> Tracking in the usual place:
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stable-tracker
>>
>> Since things are especially fun the last two days I figured it was time
>> for a notification to the -dev list.
>>
>> Both are basically Juno issues.
>>
>> 1. The large ops job is busted because of some uncapped dependencies in
>> python-openstackclient 1.0.1.
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-gate/+bug/1482350
>>
>> The fun thing here is g-r is capping osc<=1.0.1 and there is already a
>> 1.0.2 version of osc, so we can't simply cap osc in a 1.0.2 and raise
>> that in g-r for stable/juno (we didn't leave ourselves any room for bug
>> fixes).
>>
>> We talked about an osc 1.0.1.1 but pbr>=0.11 won't allow that because it
>> breaks semver.
>>
>> The normal dsvm jobs are OK because they install cinder and cinder
>> installs the dependencies that satisfy everything so we don't hit the
>> osc issue.  The large ops job doesn't use cinder so it doesn't install it.

>> a) Somehow use a 1.0.1.post1 version for osc.  Would require input from
>> lifeless.
>>
>> b) Install cinder in the large ops job on stable/juno.
>>
>> c) Disable the large ops job for stable/juno.
>>

>> 2. grenade on kilo blows up because python-neutronclient 2.3.12 caps
>> oslo.serialization at <=1.2.0, keystonemiddleware 1.5.2 is getting
>> pulled in which pulls in oslo.serialization 1.4.0 and things fall apart.
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-neutronclient/+bug/1482758
>>
>> I'm having a hard time unwinding this one since it's a grenade job.  I
>> know the failures line up with the neutronclient 2.3.12 release which
>> caps requirements on stable/juno:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/204654/.
>>

> OK, the problem is that neutronclient doesn't get updated on the new kilo
> side of grenade past 2.3.12 because it satisfies the requirement for kilo:
>

> https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/stable/kilo/global-requirements.txt#L132
>
> python-neutronclient>=2.3.11,<2.5.0
>
> But since neutronclient 2.3.12 caps things for juno, we can't use it on
> kilo due to the conflict and then kaboom.

So, 2.3.12 was explicitely for Juno, and not for Kilo. In fact, the
existing 2.3.11 client for Juno was failing due to some other oslo library
(I'd have to dig it out). It seems we want Kilo requirements to be this:

python-neutronclient>=2.4.0,<2.5.0

I won't be able to submit a patch which does this for a few more hours, if
someone beats me to it, please copy me on the patch and/or reply on this
thread.

Thanks for digging this one out Matt!

Kyle