[openstack-dev] stable is hosed

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 7 20:52:23 UTC 2015

Well it's a Friday afternoon so you know what that means, emails about
the stable branches being all busted to pieces in the gate.

Tracking in the usual place:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stable-tracker

Since things are especially fun the last two days I figured it was time
for a notification to the -dev list.

Both are basically Juno issues.

1. The large ops job is busted because of some uncapped dependencies in
python-openstackclient 1.0.1.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-gate/+bug/1482350

The fun thing here is g-r is capping osc<=1.0.1 and there is already a
1.0.2 version of osc, so we can't simply cap osc in a 1.0.2 and raise
that in g-r for stable/juno (we didn't leave ourselves any room for bug
fixes).

We talked about an osc 1.0.1.1 but pbr>=0.11 won't allow that because it
breaks semver.

The normal dsvm jobs are OK because they install cinder and cinder
installs the dependencies that satisfy everything so we don't hit the
osc issue.  The large ops job doesn't use cinder so it doesn't install it.

a) Somehow use a 1.0.1.post1 version for osc.  Would require input from
lifeless.

b) Install cinder in the large ops job on stable/juno.

c) Disable the large ops job for stable/juno.

2. grenade on kilo blows up because python-neutronclient 2.3.12 caps
oslo.serialization at <=1.2.0, keystonemiddleware 1.5.2 is getting
pulled in which pulls in oslo.serialization 1.4.0 and things fall apart.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-neutronclient/+bug/1482758

I'm having a hard time unwinding this one since it's a grenade job.  I
know the failures line up with the neutronclient 2.3.12 release which
caps requirements on stable/juno:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/204654/.

Need some help here.

Matt Riedemann